Thursday, February 23, 2012

Complications in Paradise

So at our ultrasound on Monday, the technician said everything checked out great except for one thing, one of our baby's kidneys was "a little too full." She said it was little cause for concern, but if it's worth mentioning, it's something they're concerned about. We left the sonogram happy and a little worried, even though the lady told us not to worry.

Two days later (today), I got a call from my baby doctor's office, informing me that one of the baby's kidneys were dialated. I guess this was medical terms for "a little too full." The nurse explained that this was very common in boys and it usually goes away around week 25 as they develop, but they didn't want to ignore it. I'll have to get another ultrasound in a month or so to check on our little bug and if it continues to be enlarged, see a specialist. As soon as they mentioned the word "specialist," I rolled my eyes. I couldn't help it. All I could think of was, $$ka-ching$$.

I looked up some info online about dialated kidneys in fetuses (feti?) and tried not to panic, as the internet people often jump to worst case scenarios. Some women said they're babies developed just fine and the dialated kidney went away just as the doctor said it would. Another woman said it was a sign of down-syndrome, and they had their baby retested for it. One baby boy continued to have the problem at the age of 9 months and now has to have surgery.

Of course, we're hoping our little man will be okay by week 25 and the worry I feel right now will have been for no reason. Hopefully that will be the case, but if not, we'll be okay anyway. I guess I should be very grateful that everything else is developing just fine and pray that everything works out for the best.

No comments: