Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Back to the Kitchen

Ever since I hit about 6 weeks pregnant, I haven't been able to cook anything. The smell of the oven turning on would send me running to the bathroom. That means for the past couple months, my poor husband, who previously was spoiled by my dinner-making, has had to fend for himself. Every time we go to the store, we stock up on sandwich meat, cereal boxes, and frozen pizza. When he gets tired of those options, he scavenges for whatever else he can find that is usually junk (or, he orders out). Here is an example of what I mean:

Excerpt from a Nov. 2008 blog post:

My last and final paper is due tomorrow, so I've been working on it pretty hard (this blog was a break). So Tim, in all his sweetness, made me dinner. It was a full five course meal! I sat in his room working while he brought me every dish one by one. Here is what the menu consisted of:

Course #1: One holiday Marshmallow Treat (Green and Red Rice Krispies) and a glass of water

Course #2: A bowl of Campbell's classic Chicken Noodle Soup and some Vanilla Hot Chocolate

Course #3: Two pieces Marmalade Toast, one piece Buttered Toast, and a glass of red Kool-aid

Course #4: A bowl of dry Cereal with a mug of Milk to pour

Course #5: Popcorn!


End excerpt.


Granted, he's improved in his baking skills since then. One night, he cooked me some very good chicken quesadillas, and he is the best french toast maker of all time (I kid you not). But the fact remains that most of the time, he is simply too tired (some might say lazy) to cook himself a real meal.

That is why it made me so happy to cook my husband dinner tonight! It was a very simple meal of tuna macaroni, but we both ate it up and he could even have seconds. I was so glad I could do this for him. For the first time in a long time, he let out a sigh and said, "I'm stuffed." Those, coupled with the words, "That was delicious and I love you," made me miss cooking for my sweet hubby. And at last, I know he got something actual to eat for dinner.

I am very hopeful that this is a turning point in my pregnancy, since the smell of boiling water no longer makes me nauseous. Huzzah!

Oh, and just so everyone knows, in no way is Tim some kind of macho man that demands his woman to be in the kitchen. It just so happens that I know how to cook things and he...well, doesn't. To prove my point, he is currently eating a snack of canned fruit cocktail. "I was hungry," he said.

No comments: