Does anyone out there talk to their fetus regularly? Once in a while, I'll tell him "Whoa, little guy, that was a good kick." Other than that, neither Tim or I really talk to our baby all that much. What I do instead is sing to him.
For those of you who don't know this, I sing constantly. If a word reminds me of a song, I'll sing the phrase it belongs in, if I'm in the car or shower, I'm singing. Those exposed to this in extended periods naturally get sick of hearing it. Luckily, Tim isn't one of those people. Whew, right? He loves to hear me sing. I want our baby to love it, too, but I don't think there's any way to do that. No harm in letting him hear my voice once in a while, though, right?
Yesterday, I was resting and touching my belly, something I can't help but do often--its really starting to poke out now. In that quiet moment, I decided to sing my baby a lullaby, "Baby Mine," from Dumbo. For the first time, I wasn't scared out of my mind to have this baby. I was excited. As I sang the song over and over, I could feel our little guy pushing back on where my hand was resting, like he was trying to grab at my fingers. Suddenly I was crying, anxious to hold him, to see his tiny fingers, to touch his soft head. I was overwhelmed with a feeling of love for our little baby, grateful to Heavenly Father that we finally will have a sweet baby to watch over.
I'm still scared, but at least I don't feel like a horrible mother-to-be anymore. Besides, I think I'm right to be scared. Our lives are about to change in a most dramatic and wonderful way!
Great Wolf Lodge
9 years ago
1 comment:
We would sing and read stories to Iain (and now to the twins). I think its great that you sing to your little guy. Pick up some kids books to read to him (you know start your library before he gets here). Some of those books that we bought while I was pregnant with Iain are his favorites now. I always sang Hush Little Baby to him (again while I was pregnant). Iain calls it baby song or Iain's song now. I sing it to him before his nap and bed every day. When he was an new born it was one of the only songs that kept him calm or put him to sleep. Its our special song now and I love that even if he is hurt, upset, or tired that he will cuddle up next to me and ask for his baby song.
So find a quite moment every day and just read or sing to your little guy. Enjoy this time Mary because it only happens once with each child that you have.
Post a Comment