Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ronan is Two!

Ronan turned two years old last Saturday. We had a wonderful party, thanks to the efforts of Tim's party-planning genius sister, Beth. It was Monster's University themed, adorable, and so much fun. Ronan kept saying, "Mike! Sullay!" It was cute.

People asked me about how I felt about Ronan turning two. Honestly, I love it. He is so freaking adorable, people. The more he learns to talk, the more I get to know him and how his mind works. Sometimes, he just wants to talk about shapes and colors, so we'll be in the car and he'll spout out all the colors he knows one by one, and I'll repeat what he says (that's how the game is played). We'll do that for shapes as well. He likes to count to ten with me, too. I'll hold up my fingers as he counts, and he can count to ten, man. Sometimes, if he's lazy, he'll say "One, two, ten! Yay!" And yes, I still celebrate with him because it is fun. Today, he counted all the way to 20 with Dada during church. That surprised the crap out of us. He's learning his ABC's. The other day, he recited almost the entire alphabet, besides the letter N, which naturally, he doesn't count as a real letter since it sounds so much like "m" and is right next to it. Who thought of that, anyway?

When he wants something, he is quite determined to get it. For example, if he wants to color with the sidewalk chalk, he will point at the box and say "Colors, chalk, outside," until you take him. It doesn't matter how many times you say, "No, buddy, we are about to go to the store. We will color later." He will completely ignore your words until he hears you repeat back to him, "Colors, chalk, outside," and then go to the door with a great broad grin across his sweet little face. Until he gets what he wants, his big brown eyes look worried, like he may never be happy again if he doesn't get that one thing he so desperately wants. Mommy has learned not to look too closely, or else it is too hard to say no.

He gives the best hugs of any 2 year old I've ever met. We'll be hanging out in the living room and he will suddenly turn to me and ask with arms extended, "Hug? Hug?" I pick him up and he snuggles right into my shoulder and says, "Huuuug." Those who have witnessed it say he says it with his sweet smile on his face.

He's a really good friend to play with (mostly). Lincoln, his cousin, and Nathan, a boy my sister-in-law nannies, are two of his best buddies. Lincoln and him have a complicated relationship sometimes where they like to take each other's toys, but they will still make sure their buddy gets a piece of candy when Papa's dishing it out. He and Nathan like to run in circles chasing each other, or see who can yell the loudest across the house, or jump up and down on the couch together til they fall on their bums. He is really good at laughing at your jokes. If you're doing something that's funny, you can always count on him to laugh. Sometimes, he'll laugh just because everyone else is laughing. It's totally fake, of course, but so considerate, right?

His favorite places to go are the pool, Papa's House, and Lincoln. He asks for these things every day. Lincoln, of course, is his cousin, so it doesn't matter where we go. As long as Lincoln is there, it'll be cool.

He speaks pretty well, or I at least understand most of what he's trying to say. He says things like "Papa housh" and "Poowah" pretty well, but if someone came into our house and heard him ask, "Cuh Coo?" They wouldn't know that meant, "Can I watch Color Crew on the WiiU Tablet?" Or when he says, "A cusheh sheh?" that means, "What color is it?" Once in a while, he'll say something I don't understand. I'll repeat back what I thought he said, and I know I've got it right when he repeats it with a smile. I know I've got it wrong if he just smiles without saying anything with a look on his face that I've interpreted to mean, "No, but nice try."

He is really good at praying. Whenever we say, "time for prayer," he will fold his arms and look around the room to make sure everyone is closing their eyes and folding their arms, too. If you aren't, he will stare at you until you do it. I don't think he has ever closed his eyes for a prayer, but he will always give a hearty, Amen! when it's done. Today at church, a member of the Bishopric offered to give me a blessing since I've got a cold and am about to have a baby (2 1/2 more weeks til due date...aaaaa!!). In our church, a priesthood holder will place his hands on your head and say a prayer, asking the Lord to bless you with whatever ails you. In this case, it was my health that needed addressing. Ronan was in the room with us since classes at church were still going on and no one was readily available to watch him. Daddy and the member of the Bishopric gave me a blessing. When it was done, Ronan said Amen, then climbed up onto my lap, face to face with me, and put both his little hands on my head. He mumbled a few things, then said, "Jeeza Kwigh, Amen." (In our church, we close all our prayers with, "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.") That's right. Ronan gave mommy a blessing. When he was done, he did it again. And again. He gave mommy three more blessings, the sweet little thing. I almost died.

He has his rascally moments, of course. He's a two-year-old boy! But for the most part, he is a very sweet boy who loves his mommy, daddy and puppy Chloe. I've never seen a little boy grab a dog's face and want kisses like that before. I have to watch him around her so he doesn't get doused in slobber. Just shows you how lovey dovey he is. And boy, do we love it. Every night, before he goes to sleep, I will sit with him and sing him a lullaby. And he actually likes it. Do you know what a dream-fulfillment that is for me? Growing up, I learned lullabies just so I could sing my kids to sleep every night. I have quite an arsenal of songs to knock him out, too. He is a very good sleeper nowadays. When it's time for night-night, he usually has no problems. I am VERY grateful for that.

We love our little man. The more he grows up, the more we love him.

And that, folks, is why we're having another one. :) Kids are just too cool.

No comments: