Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Rant: The Media and Mood Obstruction

Television tells us how we should react to life situations. How many times have you seen a woman storm out of a room telling a man she never wants to see him again? You don't, except on tv. In real life, whatever the man did, it would be a long drawn out conversation about what happened and why and blah blah blah.

Sometimes I think this is why actors seldom have lasting relationships. Their lives are built around these grandioux scenes with such passion and twists that it's come to be expected in their own lives.

In the meantime, woman dramas show these petty and conniving women who do what it takes to get what they want, or else try to teach others lessons by giving them a slap in the face followed by the silent treatment. Relationships in these shows are doomed to failure because we eat up the drama they dish out. Then, it gets in our heads and everything that used to be insignificant is now some underlying precursor to a potential argument.

Men, on the other hand, watch shows where the macho hero goes through so much trauma he should be being treated for post-traumatic stress, yet at the end of the day, he is making jokes and rolling his eyes good-naturedly at a job well done, ready for another adventure.

So men have this subconscious thought that all will be well in the end, and by golly, let the car crash. I'll be okay, just some cuts and scrapes. Women, on the other hand, are fretting over every minor detail, thinking it is a ploy to destroy her under-appreciated life. This is where I think misunderstandings occur. Women wonder "Why isn't he more worried? Doesn't he care?" While men think, "I wonder what's for dinner?" completely unaware anything is wrong until their woman explodes at them.

I realize I'm generalizing quite a bit, but I do wonder how much these shows and media in general affect the way we are thinking in our day-to-day lives.

Any thoughts from the masses?

1 comment:

S.R. Braddy said...

Afraid I don't have much to contribute, but I've had similar topics on my mind quite a bit recently. Depictions of men and women in the media are always problematic :-P