Recent world news has caused me to seriously reflect upon our country's situation. Last night, thanks to a dear coworker of mine (and my husband waking me up), I was given the news that Osama Bin Ladin has been killed by US black ops sent in by President Obama. At first, I thought it was a dream and woke Tim in the middle of the night to confirm it actually happened (I did that for the earthquake a while back).
Since when were we still looking for Bin Ladin? I thought government spending and the economic recession was forefront in the politicians agenda. Come to find out, Obama, who I was led to believe was not doing much with his position besides the whole medical care crap, was hunting down the man behind the 9/11 attacks.
When I checked the news, US citizens had gathered to celebrate the American triumph and global leaders were congratulating Obama's gutsy move. I have to admit, he IS the man right now, especially with the whole Donald Trump thing (please nobody vote for Donald Trump as President. Pretty please?).
Usually, I'm not political. At all. In fact, one of the bless-ed reasons we don't have cable is so I don't have to watch the news. But this...it was too intriguing not to research, and when I looked more into it, I found myself getting more and more frightened at what would be coming next from Bin Ladin supporters. The reality of it was like stubbing my toe on the couch or running into a partially opened door. It was right there, staring me in the face.
I remember when 9/11 took place. I was in the front of the choir room in high school, pulling in a breath to sing with some other unfortunate sopranos when the intercom came on. Everything seemed very distant, like my hands couldn't grasp onto the situation. Apparently a girl screamed and fainted in our class, but I don't remember that happening. All I remember is silence.
Perhaps because I have aged and matured (matured very slightly), Bin Ladin's death has brought the whole world into a large view, along with all its problems and people. I can see how far this war has effected earth's inhabitants. People have said the war on terror is a big stupid war and our country is shot and we need to turn things around and get our troops out of Afghanistan and blah blah blah. Maybe Afghanistan isn't exactly where we need to be, but it's a hop skip and jump away from where the world's most wanted murderer and brainwasher was hiding comfortably.
I've discovered Bin Ladin's attacks on the World Trade Center were to destroy America as a superpower and create the economic downfall of our nation. He almost succeeded. Here we are, struggling to lift ourselves out of an economic recession, more jobs are being created and people are feeling a little better about the economy (I think). And he is dead. And we killed him.
This man's beliefs were so warped that he justified the murdering of his own people, and many innocent lives across the globe. In the name of what? Revenge? Power? God? Where he is now, he is finding out exactly what God thought of his actions. That brings me comfort.
I like how my sister put it in her blog. It is strange to celebrate the killing of a man. Yet, most of the world is feeling better about tomorrow.
I also like my sister-in-law's facebook status: "I sure hope Osama doesn't have any horcruxes."
Great Wolf Lodge
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment