Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cub Scouts: Hard to Handle, Easy to Impress

When I started Cub Scouts, one of them asked what my job was. I explained I worked for a company that works for the EPA, a part of the government. I explained further, but as soon as I said "government," his eyes lit up. "You work for the government?" I responded, "In a way I do, but not really."

This evening, his mother approached me with a gleeful smile. She explained her son was convinced I was a spy for the government. "It's like the CDA in Monster's Inc, Mom!" He'd told her. "Sister Rook is totally a spy!"

She asked me what I did for my job. "I'm a temp!" I exclaimed. "The company I work for contracts with the EPA doing data entry for lead-based paint activities, and it's super boring." She and I had a good laugh. She told me she'd correct him if he tried to tell her again, but I'm not so sure if I want her to. This particular kid thinks I'm pretty cool. Now I know the reason why I think I'd like to keep it that way.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

So you work with the government, eh? ;) Hey--I love you, but I hate Lead Based Paint. Hate it, I tell you! We've been trying to buy a house for a few months now, and it just keeps getting pooped out because the exterior has LBP and we can't do anything til that's taken care of, but we can't do it because it's not our house yet, and the other guys won't do it either. Oy. But I still love you.

Mary said...

Funny thing...Alaska's lead-based paint removal safety tests had to be monitered personally by someone who worked here years ago. They actually took a trip out to the islands of Alaska on a boat, since you couldn't get there by plane, and give the "okay" for their tests.

I feel bad for you guys. Getting licensed for lead-based paint removal is a long process. I know that because the EPA slows us down so bad all the time. I feel for you.