Thursday, July 18, 2013

One Year

I can't believe it.

Mr. Milk Mustache is one.


Every night, after Ronan goes to sleep, Tim and I usually watch an episode or two of Burn Notice before going to sleep. Tonight, Tim pulled out the old iPad to look at pictures and videos first taken of our tiny little man.


Yeah, I cried. So what? He's gotten so big and come so far! He's said his first words (Da da, yay, and hi-ya!), started walking, eats big people foods, laughs at my jokes, pays his part of the rent, he's like an old man now! When I think of how big he's grown, it doesn't make me sad, it makes me so happy for him. He's accomplished so much. You can see it on his little face when he starts walking to you. My tiny baby is a funny little boy!


So when I look at tiny baby pictures, it brings up some feelings. How I couldn't believe he was ours, how wonderful it was to have brought such a sweet little boy into the world, how much love I could feel for one little stranger. Other feelings come, too. Memories of stress. Worry. Anxiety. Exhaustion. Doubt in myself that I could actually do it. Actually be a mom all the time. Looking at these pictures reminds me of having absolutely no idea what the heck I was doing. Then, I remember this:


And I remember it wasn't just me. We didn't know what we were doing. But together, we figured things out. We kept him clean,


Put him in clothes reflecting important life lessons,


Dressed him up,


You know, held his hand through all the hard bein-a-baby stuff.

(Tim fell asleep holding Ronan's hand once)

We knew from day one he was a sweet, silly boy, so it was nice to hear his very first laugh. The first of many. (Sorry my links don't work. You'll have to copy/paste)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4zIsgSCTts

As he grew, we were able to teach him the important things in life. Like how to throw a good right hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ps8g5uBBQ

How to appreciate nature.



I think that's the greatest part about being a parent; showing your child the world.


All the fun things there are to see and explore.


So, no, I am not sad my baby is growing up. He is so much fun to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhH0GEXP_Go&feature=youtu.be

His dad is so proud that he knows how to kick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UQ6c3flkJo&feature=youtu.be

And just look at those walking skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ0LCsWew8M&feature=youtu.be

I'm tellin' ya, every day it gets better and better with this guy. Sure, he's attracted to trouble and likes to be where the action is (not cool when mommy's cooking, by the way), but as long as he's fed and rested, he is mommy's little superhero!


Happy 1st birthday, Super Ronan!

No comments: