So my baby is huge, which we already knew, but it's nice to confirm it with numbers:
Height: 25 inches >97%
Weight: 14 lbs. 11oz. >97%
Head size: 38.5 cm 32%
That's right. Big tall baby with a tiny head. And his head is the thing that didn't want to come out at birth...
Two months meant a vaccine trip. I knew he'd be getting a couple shots when we made the appointment back in August. What I wasn't prepared for was how I'd feel about it when the time came. One minute, I'm watching our baby joyfully kick the crunchy paper to smithereens, the next minute I realize, "He's going to be hurting soon, and we're supplying the pain."
I told myself we were preventing deadly diseases and tried to get over it, but when they came in with the needles, I told baby that Mommy had to look away cause she was going to lose it.
I didn't look away, though. I stood afar and watched as Tim held his arms, and he looked up at him with a wondering eye, as if to say, "What new game is this, Daddy?" Then, they stuck him with the first shot. He jerked and it took a moment, but his face turned red and he wailed like I've never heard before.
I've said in previous posts that Ronan doesn't really cry that much. That's still true. We've only heard him truly cry a handful of times. He does get fussy when hungry or gassy, but gut-bust-crying? Fageddabouttit.
So when he cried out in pain like I've never heard him cry before, I cried, too.
Not like he was crying, just enough that tears were falling.
They stuck him two more times, bandaged him up and said, "He's done! You can pick him up!" I rushed in there, grabbed my sweet baby and held him close, resting my head on his, shushing him gently. I could feel my tears wetting his hair, but I didn't care.
The nurses left and Tim wrapped his arms around us. Family snuggle. Ronan cried pretty hard for a minute, then we gave him his binky and he calmed down.
I have read stories of moms who've watched their babies go through so much more than this, and even have friends whose babies were so sick, they couldn't bring them home from the hospital for months. I don't know how these women get through that stuff. Watching your sweet baby hurt is NOT cool.
Ronan is just fine, though. His band-aids have puppies on them and he is kicking his legs as joyfully as he did before the shots ruined our lovely morning. That big ole baby may have a little head, but he is Mommy's little trooper.
Great Wolf Lodge
9 years ago

3 comments:
You sound just like me. The standing back while dad holds him down, the tears. Yep, that was me too.
Oh gosh, you should have seen me at the 9 month! They drew blood and I was like "it's ok, Hen", trying to choke the words out. It's AWFUL. Don't worry, it's totally normal to feel that way, right ladies?
oh my gosh Mary he is big! He's Clara's size at 4 1/2 months (and she's not tiny)- except that her head has always been 95th% so disproportionately huge! excited to see you sometime soon when we make it home...
Post a Comment