Thursday, October 28, 2010

Healthy?

The results are in—my heart is healthy. Doc mentioned two different things they caught but are "nothing to worry about." The first is a slight leakage in my right valve that 80% of people have, he said, and is never addressed or diagnosed or anything because it never causes problems. The second thing is, in the 24-hour Monitor I had, it recorded four episodes of my heart beating weird (or so I thought). Doc said one of the recordings picked up my heart slowing down, but nothing out of normal parameters or whatever. So since I am still having episodes and the problem is undiagnosed, they gave me another heart monitor. This time, I must keep it for a whole three weeks. An Event Monitor.

The Event Monitor will be my new best friend for the next month. I will keep it close to my heart and hilted on my pants like so:


Like Dennis the Beeper King in 30Rock!

The best part about this monitor can be quoted from an article I found. “[T]he monitor will emit a high-pitched sound from a tiny hole on the front of the device for about thirty seconds while it records what your heart is doing…” This “high-pitched sound” makes me feel like I’m trying to contact Chloe and every other dog in the neighborhood. And when I make the call to report the events that happen, the sound lasts for up to 90 seconds. It feels like my eardrums are getting a band-aid slowly removed. Other than that, everything’s going just fine.

I just hope this monitor helps the docs identify what's going on. I guess I’ll find out in one month.

2 comments:

Jen Evans said...

Event monitor.

Job includes: watching us at Disney.

Yay!

Mary said...

No! I WILL know if I can ride roller coasters by December. I WILL KNOW.